Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant
Recognizing the need for adequate infrastructure to support computer-based assessments, Governor Brown included $26,689,000 (Senate Bill 852) in one-time funding in the 2014-15 budget to support broadband infrastructure improvement grants. In addition to the infrastructure grants, the language also requires the completion of a statewide report of network connectivity infrastructure by the California K-12 High-Speed Network (K12HSN) in consultation with the Department of Education and the State Board of Education.
After reviewing school sites with identified needs, the K12HSN in partnership with the Department of Education, the State Board of Education and the Corporation for Network Initiatives in California (CENIC) will implement new connections for sites: 1) that were deemed eligible based on difficulty administering the upcoming computer adaptive testing; 2) for which commercial providers submitted viable bids for services; and 3) that are willing to commit to the on-going costs of maintaining the connection once the grant period has expired. The K12HSN and CENIC will be entering into contracts for services with installation dates as early as possible for sites meeting these conditions. The goal is to have the new connections in place for Spring 2015 computer adaptive testing.
For more information about the Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant process and timeline, please review our Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant (BIIG) Grant Process page.
- Broadband Infrastructure Improvement Grant (BIIG) Flyer (pdf, 320 KB)
- BIIG School Site Submission Status, as of October 22, 2014 (pdf, 4 MB)
- BIIG School Sites in Technical Review Round (pdf, 881 KB)
- School Site Eligibility Priorities Chart (pdf, 230 KB)
- School Site Eligibility List
- Self-Nomination Step-By-Step Instructions (pdf, 228 KB)
- Validation Process for Applicants (pdf, 270 KB)
- Validation Process for COEs (pdf, 229 KB)
- Letter of Agency (pdf, 200 KB)
- BIIG Validation Webinar for Applicants (Recorded on 09/22/2014)
- BIIG Validation and Statewide Report Webinar for COEs (Recorded on 09/22/2014)
- BIIG General Overview Webinar (Recorded on 09/10/2014)
- FluidReview Website for BIIG Online Application
- Bidders' Conference Information
- RFP Information
Questions related to the program may be directed to the K-12 High Speed Network.
Phone: (760) 312-6227