August 31, 2017
Funding Commitment Decision Letter
The Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) of the Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) is reviewing FCC Forms 471 at a steady pace. The review culminates in the Funding Commitment Decision Letter (FCDL), outlining the funding status of the local education agency’s (LEA’s) E-rate application.
The primary contact on the FCC Form 471 should receive an e-mail notification that an FCDL is ready for review. The FCDL can only be accessed through the E-rate Productivity Center (EPC), located at USAC’s Web page portal.usac.org. Please see the directions below to access the FCDL.
- Navigate to the EPC Landing Page.
- Select “FCDL” from the “Notification Type” drop down box.
- Select “2017” from the “Funding Year” drop down box.
- Select the “All” radio button for the status.
- Notifications will appear below the filtering criteria.
- If the FCDL that has not been viewed, or “generated”, it will have an explanation mark to the left of it.
- Select the “Generate Notification” link to the far right of the screen. The notice with generate and the link will change from “Generate Notification” to “View Notification”.
- Select the “View Notification” link. You will be redirected to your News Feed, where you can view the FCDL. The notification in the News Feed also contains a downloadable common separated value file (i.e., the file has an extension of .csv) that provides the details of the funding commitment.
LEAs are encouraged to review the FCDL and .csv file very carefully for accuracy. Errors in the FCDL can be corrected only by submitting an appeal to the USAC. The appeal must be submitted within 60 days of the date of the FCDL. Please refer to USAC’s Web page http://www.usac.org/about/about/program-integrity/appeals.aspx for details on filing an appeal.
Post FCDL Deadlines and Forms
The FCDL notifies applicants whether their E-rate applications have been funded or denied. The date of the FCDL triggers two important deadlines:
- The appeal deadline is 60 days from the date of the FCDL. (See the previous section on appeal deadlines above.)
- The FCC Form 486 deadline is 120 days from the date of the FCDL, or 120 days from the start of service, whichever is later. The FCC Form 486 notifies USAC that services have started. Service Providers cannot begin discounts until the FCC Form 486 has been submitted. The SLD has provided a video to demonstrate how to file the FCC Form 486. This video can be accessed on the SLD Learning Library Web page at http://www.usac.org/sl/about/outreach/videos/FCC-Form-486-How-to-File-webinar.aspx.
Service Providers that offer discounted billing will require LEAs to complete forms that identify which services will be discounted. LEAs are encouraged to communicate with their Service Providers as soon as possible after submitting the FCC Form 486 in order to address all requirements necessary to begin receiving discounts.
Note: If the service is also eligible for the California Teleconnect Fund (CTF) discount, then the Service Provider Invoice (SPI) invoicing method, using FCC Form 474, must be used. For additional information on invoicing methods see the SLD Invoicing web page at https://usac.org/sl/service-providers/step05/default.aspx.
Additional Information & Support
The Schools and Libraries Program (SLP), commonly known as E-rate, provides timely information and insight through their Weekly News Brief. If you haven’t already done so, we encourage you to sign up to receive these communications by visiting the SLP’s Web page at http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-briefs/Default.aspx.
You can subscribe to the California Department of Education (CDE) E-rate e-mail listserv by sending a "blank" message to email@example.com. If you would like to unsubscribe from the CDE E-rate listserv, send a "blank" message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
As always, we are here to help if you have questions or need support. Members of the CDE E-rate team are available to assist by e-mail at E-RATE@cde.ca.gov.