E-rate News Flash
Funding Year 2018–19 Funding Commitments
The Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) has released the first four waves of funding commitments for the 2018-19 funding year. As of May 11, 2018, funding commitments for California schools exceed $65.4 million.
Those local education agencies (LEA) that received a Funding Commitment Decision Letter (FCDL) must now do the following:
- Review the FCDL for accuracy. The FCDL has a new format which can be previewed in a six-minute video provided by USAC. The video is located on the Schools and Libraries Division (SLD) Online Learning Library Web page at,https://www.usac.org/sl/about/outreach/videos/Funding-Commitment-Decision-Letters.aspx
- Use the appeal process to correct any inaccuracies. Instructions for the appeal process can be found on the USAC Web page at https://www.usac.org/about/about/program-integrity/appeals.aspx
- Important Note: The new FCDL will be sent via a system-auto generated e-mail to the person who certified the associated Form 471 application. Additionally, USAC will manually send an e-mail to the person identified as the contact on the Form 471 with instructions on how to view the FCDL using the E-Rate Productivity Center (EPC).
- Submit the FCC Form 486 within 120 days of the date of the FCDL or within 120 days from the start of services, which ever date is later.
- Be careful to select the correct Children’s Internet Protection Act (CIPA) certification for your agency in order to avoid needless delays in processing your form.
- Confirm that the Services Start Date is on or after July 1, 2018, as this is the earliest possible date for invoicing to occur.
- Important Note: The SLD is hosting a Webinar titled, Filing the FCC Form 486, on May 23, 2018. Visit the SLD’s Webinar Web page at https://www.usac.org/sl/about/outreach/training/webinars.aspx to register for the webinar.
- Decide on your method of invoicing. Learn more about E-rate invoicing at, https://www.usac.org/sl/applicants/step06/default.aspx
- FCC Form 474, the Service Provider Invoice (SPI) method allows the service provider to issue discounted invoices to the LEA.
- FCC Form 472, the Billed Entity Applicant Reimbursement (BEAR) method requires the service provider to invoice the applicant for the full amount of the service, then the applicant is reimbursed by USAC based on their discount level
- Important Note: Using the SPI method for E-rate invoicing is required to qualify for additional reimbursements through the California Teleconnect Fund (CTF). Learn more about the CTF by visiting the California Public Utilities Commission Web page at http://www.cpuc.ca.gov/ctf/
Reminder: Document Retention Requirements
LEAs are required to maintain E-rate documentation for 10 years past the last date of service delivered. This requirement could result in retained documentation for up to 17 years if the procurement process associated with the posting of an FCC Form 470 results in a 5 year contract. USAC has provided guidance on document retention on their Web page at https://www.usac.org/sl/tools/document-retention.aspx. Further, a suggested list of documents to be retained can be found in the section entitled Samples & Examples of USAC Web page located at https://www.usac.org/sl/tools/samples.aspx. Select “E-rate Binder Labels” and “E-rate Binder Table of Contents” for a detailed list.
Schools and Libraries Program Weekly News Briefs on E-rate
The SLP, commonly known as E-rate, provides timely information and insight through their Weekly News Brief. If you have not already done so, we encourage you to sign up to receive these communications by visiting the SLP’s Web page at http://www.usac.org/sl/tools/news-briefs/Default.aspx .
You can subscribe to the California Department of Education (CDE) E-rate e-mail listserv by sending a "blank" message to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you would like to unsubscribe from the CDE E-rate listserv, send a "blank" message to email@example.com.
As always, we are here to help if you have questions or need support. Members of the CDE E-rate team are available to assist by e-mail at E-RATE@cde.ca.gov.